Many people ask, “should I follow a diabetic diet?”. This is a common myth for type 1 diabetics, type 2 diabetics and for anyone that wants good nutrition. The fact is that diabetics can absolutely eat what others can eat as long as the goal is well controlled blood glucose and a healthy diet. The same applies to those non diabetics that are looking to lose weight. *Note that type 1 diabetes has nothing to do with weight gain (or loss) and is very different as a diagnosis in itself from type 2 diabetes.
Any diabetic, regardless of their type is seeking a healthy diet to assist in glucose control for a lifetime of wellness (and without complications). All of us, (with or without diabetes) also need to work hard to have a healthy diet to avoid heart disease, illnesses and obesity. Here are a few tips to satisfy a healthy meal plan for all!:
- Spend your carbohydrate grams wisely and spread them through the day.
- Factor in your own personal weight loss goals and your activity level.
- Consider any health factors and medications you may be taking.
- Choose whole grains and high fiber carbohydrates.
- Budget your overall calories. Make sure you burn more than you consume if weight loss is your goal.
Choosing a meal plan that is right for you is something to discuss with a professional. When in doubt, reach out!
*This article is not intended to give medical advice.